What is SmarTrip®?
SmarTrip is a rechargeable farecard that you can use on many public
transportation systems throughout Northern Virginia, Maryland and
the District of Columbia including Metrorail and Metrobus. Having
one farecard makes bus and train transfers easy, and with SmarTrip
there’s no need to carry bus tokens or worry about having exact
change for your fare.
Where Can I Get a SmarTrip Card?
Your SmarTrip card will cost $2 to purchase. Some sales locations sell
cards with pre-loaded amounts already on them; therefore, the cost would be $2
plus the pre-loaded amount. You may purchase a SmarTrip card
|PRTC Transit Center
OPEN 6am - 8pm, Monday - Friday
Transactions processed 7am - 7pm
14700 Potomac Mills Road
Woodbridge, VA 22192
(703) 730-6664 OR
Senior SmarTrip cards also on sale at PRTC
9200 Centreville Road
8041 Sudley Road
4338 Dale Boulevard
Dale City, VA
12890 Touchstone Circle
13905 Jefferson Davis Highway
17897 Dumfries Shopping Plaza
NORTHERN VIRGINIA & WASHINGTON DC
The Commuter Stores
Rosslyn Metro Station
1810 N. Moore Street
SmarTrip cards may also be purchased
at Giant and CVS stores throughout the
Washington Metropolitain area.
Visit SmarTrip.com for a complete
listing of sales locations.
| Crystal City Shops
251 18th Street South, Suite 1638-B
|Vending machines in Metro stations
| Ballston Metro Station
4230 Fairfax Drive
|Online at SmarTrip.com
How Do I Register My Card?
SmarTrip cards must be registered in order to receive SmartBenefits
or to have value from a lost, stolen, or damaged card transferred
to a new card. To register your card, visit SmarTrip.com. If
you purchased your card online or by mail, it is already registered.
How Do I Pay My Fare?
- Each passenger must have their own SmarTrip card.
- Simply touch your SmarTrip card to the SmarTrip target on top
of the electronic farebox. The appropriate fare will be automatically
deducted from your card.
- OmniRide and Metro Direct passengers who pay with a SmarTrip
card receive discounted fares.
- All passengers may pay with cash ($1, $5, $10 or $20 bills and
coins - no pennies).
- OmniLink passengers may pay with tokens.
- Those who qualify for reduced fares on PRTC buses must pay with
cash or with a Senior (65+)/Disabled SmarTrip card (available through
the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority) in order to
receive the discount.
- Local bus Day and Weekly passes are only available on SmarTrip cards.
- OmniLink off-route surcharges may be paid for with cash, tokens or additional value on a SmarTrip card.
How Do I Pay a Reduced Fare?
PRTC offers reduced fares all day on OmniLink and Cross County
Connector buses, and during non-peak hours (9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and
after 7 p.m.) on OmniRide and Metro Direct buses. Passengers
qualify for reduced fares on PRTC buses if they are at least 60 years
old, or if
they have a disability or a valid Medicare card. Riders eligible
for reduced fares on PRTC buses must pay with cash or
with a WMATA-issued Senior SmarTrip card or a Metro Disability ID/SmarTrip card.
If you have a Senior SmarTrip card or a Metro Disability ID/SmarTrip card simply tap your card to the SmarTrip target. The farebox on
PRTC buses and on all other regional carriers will automatically
deduct the reduced fare, if applicable. For more information
about WMATA's reduced fare program, please call (202) 962-1558
or visit Metro's Reduced Fare program page.
How Do I Make a Transfer with a SmarTrip Card?
Transfers ARE ONLY AVAILABLE FOR FARES PAID WITH SMARTRIP. They are good for 3 hours on the day issued. The electronic farebox will calculate and automatically deduct the correct fare from your SmarTrip card.
- No credit will be given when transferring between PRTC buses
How Do I Add Money To My SmarTrip Card?
To load value on the bus:
- Before you tap your card to the target, push the ADD VALUE
button on the farebox. (If you touch the card to the target
prior to pushing the ADD VALUE button, the farebox will deduct
- Touch your card to the SmarTrip target.
- Insert cash $1, $5, $10 or $20 bills or coins (no pennies)
to load up to a maximum of $300 total value on the card. To
prevent delays, please limit on-board loading of your card to three
- Touch your card to the SmarTrip target again to upload the value.
- Touch your card once more to deduct the fare for your trip.
To load value at a Metrorail station using a Passes/Farecard machine,
follow the machine instructions. You may load value to your
SmarTrip card using Metrorail paper farecards, credit
cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover), and ATM/debit cards.
To check the available balance on your SmarTrip card, push the CHECK
VALUE button before you tap the card to the target. Your card
balance will appear on the display screen.
How Do I Buy A Pass Product?
You can buy a Weekly Pass and Day Pass on all PRTC buses. To buy a pass on a PRTC bus, be sure to have enough money on your SmarTrip card and inform the operator that you want to purchase a pass before tapping your card. To prevent delays, please do not load more than three bills to your SmarTrip card at one time.
To use your pass, simply tap your SmarTrip card to the farebox.
If you qualify, you can buy a Reduced Fare Weekly Pass or Day Pass using your SmarTrip card.
- If you qualify for reduced fares on PRTC buses but DO NOT have a WMATA-issued Senior SmarTrip card or a Metro Disability ID/SmarTrip card, visit the PRTC Transit Center (M-F, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.) and bring proof of your age and/or disability and your SmarTrip card. PRTC will place a sticker on your SmarTrip card so bus operators will know that you are eligible to pay reduced rates for passes. When boarding, tell the operator that you want to buy a pass, show the operator your SmarTrip card with the sticker and then tap it to the farebox.
What If I Have a Problem With My SmarTrip Card?
If you have trouble using your SmarTrip card on the bus, you will
have to pay for your trip with cash. If you have questions
or problems using your SmarTrip card, contact Metro at (888) 762-7874
or visit SmarTrip.com.
Where Can I Use a SmarTrip Card?
Along with PRTC, these regional carriers also accept SmarTrip:
- ART – Arlington County
- CUE – Fairfax City
- DASH – Alexandria
- DC Circulator
- Fairfax Connector
- Loudoun County Transit
- Metrorail and Metrobus
- Ride On – Montgomery County
Can I Transfer My SmartBenefits to My SmarTrip Card?
Those receiving SmartBenefits – the electronically paid transit
benefit provided by some employers – can quickly download their
monthly benefit at Metrorail stations using a Passes/Farecard machine. With
SmartBenefits, your monthly benefit is loaded onto your registered
card in one transaction, eliminating the time spent feeding bills one-by-one
into the electronic farebox or having to use a credit card to load
value. Visit SmarTrip.com for more information on downloading
Learn more about SmarTrip and SmartBenefits:
Weekdays from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
SmarTrip -- www.SmarTrip.com
SmartBenefits -- www.WMATA.com